Let's Encrypt is a popular open-source license that provides free SSL for your domains. To simplify the installation and renewal of Let's Encrypt certificates, cPanel now offers plugins that can be easily used. With Let's Encrypt, you can automatically generate SSL licenses for domains that have not previously signed a CA certificate.
Before proceeding with the installation, there are two important prerequisites to keep in mind. First, the domain you want to sign up for should be on the cPanel/WHM server. Second, Let's Encrypt ™ CA must be able to visit http://your-domain.tld/.well-known/xxxxx/xxx successfully. These directories or files are created automatically, but make sure that .htaccess rules do not prevent access to them.
Here are the steps for installing the official cPanel plugin for Let's Encrypt:
- Access the command line via SSH as the root user.
- Run the following command: /scripts/install_lets_encrypt_autossl_provider
Once the installation is complete, follow these steps to enable SSL for your domain:
- In the SSL/TLS section, go to AutoSSL and select Let's Encrypt.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Go to Manage Users and select the domain you want to enable SSL for.
- Run AutoSSL to complete the process.
With these simple steps, you can successfully enable SSL for your domain using Let's Encrypt.